Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Syndicating this blog?

I just receive a message, also sent to 50 other bloggers, from Nouriel Roubini to become a contributor to RGE Monitor. His team would pick my post from this blog, vet them, and publish them on his blog, with attribution.

What is in it for me? A link back to my blog, a free subscription to the fee-based part of the RGE Monitor (valued at a whooping US$5000 a year), publicizing Economic Logic on the blog, and a "bio page" with a picture.

Note that there are already plenty of blog agregators out there, and anybody is free to create a blogroll like the one I have in the sidebar... I do not particularly value a subscription to something I was never tempted to read. A blog is to a great extend done for the readers, so I'll let my readers decide whether I should participate. I have added a poll in the side bar to that effect.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why can't Nouriel Roubini discuss your posts and link to them, like everybody else? And if he is making money, you have every right to ask some of it for posting entire posts. It is not like people will look at your original post if it is entirely quoted...

Anonymous said...

You have a good blog, but rather few readers, I think. Anything that drives up readership is A-OK by me.

nodoodahs said...

The business model of an aggregator is to sell ads over others' content, or use others' content to drive traffic and potentially sell subscriptions to other products.

If the content provider is getting NO portion of the marginal economic benefit that the aggregator gains through access to greater content, and is only getting "more traffic" as a result of participation, then the content provider is in essence PAYING THE AGGREGATOR for content distribution.

Keep in mind that, with your posts copied in total on the aggregator's site, there is little to no incentive for the reader to click through to your site.

You have advertisements here. What is your clickthru rate on them??? Now imagine that those ads, instead of having a teaser sentence or two, somehow delivered all the relevant information about their product, without a clickthru. How much lower do you think the clickthru rate would go?

I don't know what your traffic rate is, but imagine that clickthru rate applied to your readers at Nouriel's site, and do some math. At 0.25% clickthru (probably high, considering) you would have to have four hundred times as many people reading your work at Roubini's site, compared to the ones reading here, in order to double your traffic. Meanwhile, if a large number of those bloggers take up the Rube on his offer, he gets loads of pageviews with which to sell subscriptions at $5K a pop.

Does that sound attractive to you?

PS ~ perhaps you should ask Nouriel to put this poll at HIS site, and see if HIS readers want YOU. After all, your readers are already here ...

Biomed Tim said...

I think most of your readers will be apathetic as it doesn't really affect us.

The ONLY possible downside that I can think of would be that you attract so much new readership that the comment section becomes cluttered with banal observations...or even worse, anti-market vitriols.

Independent Accountant said...

I say go for it, provided RGE clears which posts it wants to select and reproduces them in full. Who knows where it may lead?